- Some UTF-8 character & font combination cause lockups (typically characters from non-Western languages).
In general, pixel-exact rendering should not be expected across backends. There are some differences in how images are rendered with the Cairo and NodeBox backends:
- Font name resolution works differently (e.g. some fonts can be used in one backend but not in the other).
- Font rendering is slightly different (e.g. font baselines are not in the same Y-position).
- Shadows look a bit different (NodeBox uses Quartz to render the shadows, while when using Cairo, shadows are rasterized by a custom Python algorithm).
- Transparent PDF backgrounds are not possible when using Cairo.
- Shadows are not positioned correctly when outputting SVG files.
- Gradient colors are not exactly the same.